The PAC has organized a Scholastic Book Fair that is taking place this week in the Library. We will be going as a class to “preview” the book fair tomorrow before recess. Students and parents are invited to visit the book fair before/after school. The library will be open at 8:30am (Monday-Thursday).
If you would like to donate books to the classroom, teachers have been asked to fill out “wish lists”. Our wish list will be in the library. Merci beaucoup!
- Thank you to all of the parents who reached out and helped me to get organized for our upcoming seismic move! I have a few more tasks I am hoping to get done this week. If you are available to help, please let me know.
- The move has been pushed back by a few days and will now be happening on either Tuesday, December 6th or Wednesday, December 7th. The move will be taking place during the school day and we will all have to be flexible. We will be using alternate spaces during these days and have some special activities planned for the students (science experiments with our “Big Buddy” class and winter art in the primary basement). Please drop-off and pick-up your child at our current classroom until you hear otherwise. I will keep you posted as the week goes on!
Wednesday is Pyjama day! Your child is welcome to wear their pyjamas to school. Please no stuffed animals or blankets.
- As you know, we will be going to the Aquarium this Thursday (December 1st).
- I have confirmed with the following parent volunteers:
- Shannon (Ewen’s mom)
- Leena (Emmi’s grandma)
- Heidi (Sebastian’s mom)
- I am hoping to get at least one more volunteer, so please let me know if you are available.
- We will be leaving the school at 9:00am and will be returning at 3:00.
- Please make sure all students have a packed lunch on this day (including students on the Hot Lunch program.)
Yellow Work Folders
On Friday, I will be sending home large yellow folders containing some of your child’s work from Term 1. Duotangs and writing booklets will be staying at school until the end of the year.
**Please empty out the folder and return it to school AFTER we have moved into the new classroom. Please do not throw out the folders as we will be reusing them to send home Term 2 and Term 3 work. I will be sending out a reminder after the move!
Photos on Blog
Please stay tuned for photos from the past month! I have been so busy with the move and have not had time to post as much as I would like this term.
Here is the link to the song of the week:
There will be no new sight words this week as we will be beginning the sight words evaluations. I will be sending home a list of all of the words we have learned so far. We will also be reviewing them in class!
Please remember to send your family photos by tomorrow!
If you are able to volunteer for our class field trip to the Aquarium on December 1st, please let me know. We will be leaving at 9:00 and will be coming back at around 3:00.
I am also looking for parent help in preparing for the move on December 5th. Currently, I need help taking things off the walls. If you are interested in helping, please let me know and we can set up a time.
I am purging and am giving away some old French picture books I no longer need for the classroom. If you are interested, please feel free to stop by 5 minutes before/after school.
Next week, we will be doing a special writing project about families. On or before Monday, please send your child to school with 3 photos of their family. We will be cutting/gluing these photos so please do not send anything you hope to get back.
In class, your child will asked to write a sentence to describe each picture. Here are a few examples of what students will be expected to write:
- Present members of his/her family
- Il y a 4 personnes dans ma famille.
- Voici ma maman. (Here is my mom.)
- Voici mon papa. (Here is my dad.)
- J’ai une soeur. (I have a sister.)
- J’ai un frère. (I have a brother.)
- Describe things she/he enjoys doing with their family
- J’aime jouer. (I like to play.)
- J’aime lire. (I like to read.)
- J’aime voyager. (I like to travel.)
- Tell us about a special memory with their family
- Je suis allé à… (I went to…)
This is a reminder that we will be going to the MOA first thing tomorrow morning.
Please make sure your child…
- Arrives on time (9:00am sharp!)
- Wears a coat
- Has a snack IN their coat pocket (Ideally your child will come to school with their snack in their pocket to avoid getting out the lunch boxes before we leave. We will be leaving our backpacks and lunch boxes at school. Please make sure the snack is small enough to fit in their pocket – no large containers!)
Here is the shape of the morning:
- 9:00: Bus leaves Strathcona
- 9:45: Arrive at Museum of Anthropology
- 10:00 – 11:00: Puppet Show
- 11:00: SNACK
- 11:15: Bus leaves MOA
- 12:00: Arrive at Strathcona
- 12:10: Lunch Recess
- 12:30: Students eat Lunch as per usual